Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A flannel shirt in a sea of suits

The day of my flight to Italy arrived and I was ready to begin my long journey over to Brunnenburg. I left from JFK Airport, New York at 6:30 pm and arrived in London's, Heathrow airport around 6:00 am (GMT) the next day.
After about an hours wait I took a connecting flight to Munich, Germany. I got on the plane and it immediately struck me that about 98% of the other people on the plane were in suits. It gave me an almost "out of place" feeling that lasted into the rest of my travels. The plane ride was quick and I landed in Munich at 10:30 (GMT +1). I got my passport stamped and collected my luggage. I then proceeded to a ticket booth to buy the necessary tickets for my travel to Brunnenburg. I went from the airport to a train station in Munich called Munich Ost.
After about a hour and half wait I took the train to Bolzen/Boran, from there I took another train to Meran where I was picked up. The train ride to Bolzen was a nice way to see the sites and gave me my first look at the Alps.
I arrived at Brunnenburg and promptly fell asleep. As this is my first time in a different country it was strange being around people who did not speak English. It gave me a feeling of isolation. I have never completely felt this way until this trip, and am glad that I am able to experience it. I am looking forward to what is in store for me throughout my internship at Brunnenburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment